Nutrition and Wellness Policies adopted by North Star Academy
North Star Academy Charter School of Newark recognizes that child and adolescent obesity has reached epidemic levels in the United States and that poor diet combined with the lack of physical activity negatively impacts on students’ health, and their ability and motivation to learn. North Star Academy is committed to:
- Providing students with healthy and nutritious foods;
- Encouraging the consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat milk and whole grains;
- Supporting healthy eating through nutrition education;
- Encouraging students to select and consume all components of the school meal; and
- Providing students with the opportunity to engage in daily physical activity.